For a full upper or lower set of teeth, you can get dentures, but they’re a temporary solution that requires extra care. All-on-4 dental implants are a permanent solution that locks in a full set of replacement teeth. Once your jawbones have fused with the implants, you should experience very few All-on-4 dental implant problems. Check with your local dentist, open on Saturdays, to find out if you’re a good candidate for All-on-4 implants.
Dentists have been perfecting the use of implants to replace lost or damaged teeth for many years. Originally, you needed an implant for every tooth you lost, but starting in 1998, you could replace an entire upper or lower arch of teeth with only four implants. Your journey from missing or failing teeth to a fully functional mouth is now easier than ever.
Using small titanium screws as implants to replace the roots of four teeth, your NYC dentist reduces the cost and healing time of your implant surgery. With a special method — tilting the two back implants at a 45-degree angle to gain better purchase in the bone and two straight implants at the front of your mouth — this cost-effective treatment requires no bone grafts.
Advantages of All-on-4 Dental Implants
All-on-4 dental implants require fewer implants than a more traditional implant approach. Other advantages include:
- Shorter treatment time because only four implants are needed
- No bone grafts or sinus augmentation is required
- Can replace a full arch or set of teeth in your upper jaw or lower jaw
- Titanium implants that
- Restored teeth, improved quality of life with regard to aesthetics, speech and self-esteem
- A temporary arch that provides an all-in-one-day surgery experience, so you go home with teeth
- Permanent dental implants that don’t have to be taken out daily like dentures
- Permanent teeth that act like your natural teeth; you can brush and floss the same way
- No other teeth have to be ground down or altered to support these teeth, as is the case with bridges
- More comfortable than dentures
- No need for adhesive
- No bite limitations as there are with dentures
- Health issues associated with failing teeth and periodontal disease eliminated
- No temperature sensitivity
- No food limitations
- Stabilized jawbone that maintains your facial structure
- Bone loss in jaw from missing teeth stopped
- May be a viable procedure for those who don’t qualify for other types of dental implants
Implant Surgical Procedure
As with a single implant, the procedure for All-on-4 dental implants begins with a consultation with your Saturday dentist. Following this:
- You and your dentist formulate a treatment plan together that addresses your concerns and budget.
- If applicable, your dentist (open on Saturday) removes any remaining roots of your teeth.
- Your New York City dentist inserts four titanium screws at the designated positions in a surgical procedure performed in the clinic.
- Attachments are placed on the implant screws.
- You recover from the local or general anesthesia in a waiting area until you feel well enough to go home.
- Your dentist takes impressions of your mouth to construct your permanent arch.
- You’re fitted with a temporary dental prosthesis to wear while your mouth heals and the implants fuse with the bone.
- After four to six months, you return for your permanent arch prosthesis, which is made of zirconia or acrylic on a titanium framework.
Implant surgery is relatively painless, especially since the roots and nerves of the teeth have been extracted. The surgery takes about two and a half hours. Afterward, you may experience some soreness in your face and jaw, but it’s easily controllable with over-the-counter medication.
All-on-4 Dental Implant Problems
Although they’re rare, All-on-4 dental implant problems do occur. Risks and issues include the following:
- Smoking after your procedure hinders the fusing of implants to your bones.
- Individuals with diabetes may experience a higher risk of failure.
- Poor hygiene or pre-existing chronic periodontitis results in a higher failure rate.
- If your dentist doesn’t use titanium implant screws, the implants may break, due to the force of your bite.
- Acrylic teeth stain more easily if you don’t clean them properly. Porcelain fused to metal or zirconia dental caps are more resistant to staining.
- If your dentist does not use a 3D CT scanner, your implants may be positioned inaccurately, which leads to a higher chance of failure.
Regaining Your Smile
As an ideal candidate for All-on-4 dental implants, you’re missing most or all of your teeth on the lower or upper jaw. You may be wearing full dentures currently. Your gums are healthy and you have enough bone in your upper and lower jaw to hold the titanium implants.
Your dentist’s goal is to help you regain a functional, healthy mouth for life. It’s never too late to replace a tooth, whether you lost it recently or not. With a high long-term success rate, All-on-4 dental implants represent an option for safe, precise, aesthetic and reliable results.
Do you have any questions about dental implants in the Bronx? For more information or to schedule an appointment with the best implant dentist in the Bronx of Dentist in the Bronx NYC, please contact our dental clinic for a consultation with implant dentist Farzin Farokhzadeh, DDS.