The dental implant procedure has become commonplace in recent years. It’s one of the cosmetic procedures of choice for many New Yorkers looking for a smile makeover. And an implant dentist in the Bronx open on Sunday or a team of implant dentists open on Saturday work around your schedule, whether you need mini dental implants , full dental implants or a single tooth implant. At our cosmetic and implants dentistry in the Bronx, we use only the best quality medical grade titanium or titanium alloy for dental implants.
It wasn’t too long ago that if you suffered from tooth loss due to decay, disease or injury, the only treatment options available to you were bridges or dentures. Today, there’s another option. Dental implants have revolutionized dental care. Dental implant procedures actually replace the roots of your missing teeth. These man-made roots serve as the foundation for your new and improved smile.
Dental implants can be either permanent or removable replacement teeth that look and function exactly like your own natural teeth. You can have a single dental implant, full dental implants, or even mini dental implants. Dental implants are as close to having your natural teeth back as you’re ever going to get. And with proper care, your dental implants can last a lifetime.
Dental Implants Placement: Plan of Action
After a thorough exam and consultation, your dentist, open on Saturday for your convenience, helps you decide your best course of action. Your individual needs are what determine whether a single dental implant, full dental implants or mini dental implants are right for you. And your specialized evaluation is also what determines if you need additional procedures, such as bone grafts or surgical guards.
The next step of the dental implant procedure is the actual tooth root implant. The root part of your dental implant is a small post made of titanium. The post is implanted directly into the bone socket of your missing tooth. As your jaw heals, it starts to grow around the titanium post. The bone eventually encases the implant, anchoring it securely into your jaw. The entire healing process can take up to 12 weeks.
Once the titanium post is secure in your jawbone, an additional post — called an abutment — is attached to the original post. The abutment is what anchors the titanium post to the crown that serves as your new tooth. After an impression is made, your top Bronx dentist is able to model your new tooth or teeth from your impression. Your titanium implant can anchor a single tooth implant or support a denture.
Right Dental Implants for Almost Everyone
Almost anyone is a good candidate for implants. If you are healthy enough to have an extraction or other types of minor oral surgery, you should also be eligible for a dental implant procedure. If you’re committed to your oral health and have healthy gums, you can be considered.
If you’re a heavy smoker or suffer from any uncontrolled chronic conditions, such as heart disease or diabetes, implants may not be the best treatment option for you. Also, if you’re undergoing radiation therapy to your head or neck, additional consideration may be required.
Unfortunately, dental implants aren’t covered by all dental insurance. They’re considered a cosmetic procedure. Fortunately, other preparations that may be needed before you get an implant, such as a root canal or extractions, are covered. Since your dentist is also a top general dentist, he can take care of all your needs. And if you need a on Sunday dentist or a dentist open Saturday, you’ve got that too.
The Advantages of Dental Implants are Clear
It’s easy to say that dental implants look better and feel better, but there’s a lot more to it than that. The many advantages to dental implant procedures include:
- An improved appearance. The reason that dental implants look and feel like your own teeth is because they’re designed to become permanent and fuse with your own bone.
- Much improved speech. Poorly fit dentures or bridgework can seriously affect your speech. They can cause you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants are secure and don’t slide anywhere.
- Eating made easier. Sliding dentures and improperly fitting bridges also create difficulty chewing. Since implants function just like your own teeth, they give you the freedom to eat all your favorite foods.
- So much more comfortable. Dental implants literally become part of you. You’ll never have to deal with uncomfortable dental appliances again.
- Improved health overall. Since dental implants don’t rely on additional support from surrounding teeth like bridges and some partials do, you maintain more of your natural teeth, increasing your long-term health.
- Your self-esteem soars. Having your smile back affects more than your physical health. When you look better, you feel better.
- The durability of dental implants speaks volumes. With proper care, your implants may last a lifetime.
- Convenience is also an advantage of dental implants. They effectively eliminate the need for removable dentures and messy adhesives.
The pain associated with dental implants isn’t as bad as you’d expect. Only local anesthesia is used for the procedure, and you may likely experience only mild discomfort. Many patients said the discomfort they experienced was less than an extraction. Any mild pain or soreness can be treated with over-the-counter medications.
Do you have any questions about dental implants in the Bronx? For more information or to schedule an appointment with the best implant dentist in the Bronx of Dentist in the Bronx NYC, please contact our cosmetic dentistry center for a consultation with dental implants specialist Farzin Farokhzadeh, DDS.